DRLC is pleased to announce Kathryn L. Tucker, Esq., as its new Executive Director and Director of Advocacy and Legal Affairs. Ms. Tucker joins DRLC from the national nonprofit organization Compassion & Choices, where she worked to improve patient rights and choice at the end of life as Director of Advocacy and Legal Affairs for two decades. She also served as lead counsel in two landmark end of life care cases before the United States Supreme Court, which established the right of dying patients to aggressive pain management.
You are here
DRLC serves people with disabilities, with an emphasis on low-income individuals, residing throughout California. Although our work is local, our impact is national. We maintain specialized programs that focus on areas of pressing concern to the disability community. Our client base includes people with all types of disabilities; people affected by cancer and HIV; children and students with disabilities; medically fragile children and wounded veterans.
DRLC practice areas include:
Cancer Rights Program
Civil Rights Program
- Community Advocacy Program
- Disability Litigation Program
- Education Advocacy Program
- HIV Law and Policy Project
- Inland Empire Program
Services We Provide
We provide legal representation for the following types of cases:
- Discrimination/Mistreatment/Harassment on the basis of disability in housing, transportation, public places, schools, telecommunications, law enforcement, jails, juvenile halls, etc.
- Special Education focusing on systemic discrimination, physical access (including due process hearings)
- Discrimination/Mistreatment/Harassment based on the use of a service animal
- Failure to receive reasonable accommodation
Services We Do Not Provide
We do not provide legal representation for the following types of cases:
- Employment (except through our HIV Law and Policy Project)
- Domestic Violence or Harassment
- Personal Injury
- Consumer Fraud
- Applications or Appeals for Public Benefits (this includes representation at administrative hearings)
- Traffic/Parking Violations
DLRC uses the rule of law to strengthen the capacity and power of the disability community.